I have always wished there was a surefire way to avoid catching colds; that some scientist would invent a vaccine or a magic pill to prevent the constant barrage of sickness that runs through the average household from late fall to early spring. My kids seem to have a cold every month, or at least every other month during that stretch of time. And whenever I’m exposed to sick people for hours at a time, I tend to succumb. But maybe not anymore! We just had a string of colds with both of my kids, one of Alan’s kids and then Alan getting a real whopper of a cold.
This time, I decided to put Young Living’s Thieves essential oil blend and Thieves Vitality essential oil blend to the test. I’ve heard friends say they use Thieves in so many different ways, but especially to stay well or to recover from a cold quickly. If you’d like to read an in-depth blog post on Thieves, here is an interesting and informative one I found in a quick search online. (The basic legend behind Thieves is that in the 1400s, a band of thieves used a combination of lemon, cloves, rosemary, eucalyptus and cinnamon to avoid contracting the bubonic plague as they robbed the dead.)
I’m not making any such claim here, of course, but this is what I did/am doing to stay well during cold season:
- I added several drops to all the natural hand soaps and the dish soap in the house. This was to keep our hands and dishes as clean as possible.
- I added it to the wool dryer balls I use instead of dryer sheets or fabric softener.
- I diffused Thieves day and night in all the diffusers I own. The Desert Mist Diffuser is my current favorite from Young Living and here is one I ordered from Amazon that I use every day as well.
- I dipped a toothpick in the bottle of Thieves Vitality and added it in to each cup of herbal tea.
- I put a drop of Thieves Vitality in a vegetarian capsule and took one with every meal. (I might have overdone it a bit. Here is how Young Living recommends using it on their information page.)
- I put it in a spray bottle and sprayed it in the bathroom, kitchen, in the hallways and car. Here is a link to a simple room spray recipe similar to the one I make.
I think 4 and 5 were what primarily kept me free of colds these last few weeks. Of course, I slept as much as possible, ate lots of vegetables, stayed away from sugar and exercised moderately, as I try to do year round. But I believe Thieves Vitality gave me the wellness edge I needed. Now I am working on winning over the rest of my family to the wonders of Thieves.
If you’re interested in Thieves for you or your family, here is the link to the product page. When you check out, enter my Member number (13684396) as the person who referred you.
If you have questions about becoming a Young Living member, I highly recommend it and will be happy to share with you the benefits of these amazing essential oils. You can contact me directly at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
*This post contains affiliate links. If you purchase something through one of these links, I will be compensated in a small way at no extra cost to you. I am not paid for my opinions, however–they are completely my own.